Easy DIY Flower Arrangements – Part 2

DIYFloralPart2_02.20.14

In our first floral tutorial (Easy DIY Flower Arrangements – Part 1), we discussed how to make a simple baby’s breath boutonniere as well as a groom’s boutonniere. As with the first tutorial, the examples used for arrangements in this tutorial were the actual flowers that I used in our wedding and could be used for any special event including weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, homecoming, prom, etc.

For our wedding, I had decided early on that I was not going to use a florist. The main reason was simply to save money. Without formal training and very little floral experience, that meant finding centerpiece ideas that required little know-how. Originally, I searched through Pinterest, Google, wedding websites, etc. for ideas on centerpiece arrangements that didn’t use flowers, but the few that I did like were going to be quite expensive so it didn’t really help with goal number one. Then, I saw it. It was the perfect centerpiece for a vintage-inspired wedding – a round baby’s breath ball on a mercury silver candlestick holder.

I already knew how to make a round flower ball with carnations, so I assumed the process would be the same or at least similar to that. I purchased a trial floral foam ball and baby’s breath to run a trial centerpiece before the big day. The trial turned out well so I went ahead and purchased the materials needed for 10 arrangements.

There are so many great things about working with baby’s breath. It is an easy flower that doesn’t require as much water or temperature requirements as other flowers. These arrangements were made on Thursday for our wedding which took place on a Saturday evening and looked great.

Due to the weight of the foam ball, we were not able to attach the centerpieces to the mercury silver candlesticks until we were at the reception facility. Transporting flower arrangements is not fun. It’s very difficult and stressful. If you can make the arrangements at the final resting spot, it will be in your advantage.

The following materials list is what you will need to make 1 floral arrangement. Simply multiply the flowers, holders, and foam balls by the number you need to create more. It took approximately 1 hour per arrangement created.

*STP Tip – Our arrangements were able to stand on the candlestick holder without toppling over. However, the arrangements were not completely secured. If you think your arrangement could fall over or easily be knocked, we suggest placing the foam ball on a larger base for more security.

Materials
(3) Bunches of Baby’s Breath
(1) 8 – 10″ foam floral ball *Do not get the styrofoam. It needs to be floral foam so the ends of the baby’s breath can go through it.
(1) Holder
Scissors
Plastic sheeting / towel

*Update: I’ve had a lot of requests for where to find the candlestick holders that I used in the picture (which were from Michael’s, but I have not been able to find them in store anymore). These are not the same candlestick holders that I used, but they are the closest ones I could find online. Hope that helps!

*These are referral links. If you purchase something through one of these links, this site will receive some form of compensation which helps us bring you more fun posts like this one!

The largest work space that I had available was our wood dining room table. Since not only was this going to be a mess, but a wet mess, I laid down a layer of plastic sheeting over the table for protection and then a towel to absorb any excess water.

DIYFloralPart2.3_02.20.14

Cut the ends of the baby’s breath and place the flowers in water. If you are only making one or two arrangements, you can put the flowers in a vase. Since we had such a large amount of flowers needed, we chose to put the flowers in the sink.

DIYFloralPart2.4_02.20.14

Once your area is prepared and the flowers begin soaking up water, the first step in building this centerpiece is to take the floral foam ball and submerge it in water.  It is very important that the foam ball has water evenly dispersed throughout so it will be necessary to take your hand and press the ball and turn the ball when it tries to float up.

Once the ball is fully saturated (it will be quite heavy), place it on a secure surface (we used old potting jars with rocks in the bottom).  For step 2, take a pair of scissors and cut off one strand of baby’s breath approximate 6 – 8″ in length.  The length will determine how large the ball will be.

Place the cut baby’s breath and insert it into the foam ball.  It should slide in fairly easily.  The key is to do it without bending the stem.  If the stem bends, the flowers will not stand upright nor receive a sufficient amount of water.

Continue to cut the stems and insert it into the foam ball, filling in holes as you go.  Once you have put 2 bunches of baby’s breath into the foam ball, it may appear as if you are finished.  As time passes (even a day or two), the baby’s breath will begin to slightly thin out.  For a fuller ball, it is essential to use all 3 bunches of baby’s breath.

After all of the baby’s breath are inserted into the floral foam ball (don’t forget the bottom which will be visible if on the candlestick), the baby’s breath ball is ready for transport.

DIYFloralPart2.5_02.20.14

Once the baby’s breath balls have arrived at the final destination point, carefully grab the foam ball and insert it onto the base. Since the mercury candlestick holder was lighter and much smaller than the baby’s breath ball, it was necessary to push the arrangement down several inches. Although this limited the height, it added significantly to its stability.

Place a few votives around the bottom for additional ambience and there you have it – a beautiful and elegant floral centerpiece ideal for any occasion.  The centerpiece will stay lovely for at least a couple of weeks so consider keeping or donating it after the event.  Hospitals and nursing homes are always appreciative.

DIYFloralPart2.2_02.20.14

*Photo courtesy of Dragonfly Photography

16 comments

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Lissette! I started the arrangements on Thursday for our wedding reception that took place on Saturday evening. At the earliest, I would say three days in advance if you can keep them in a cool room. The arrangement will keep it’s shape for up to two weeks or so, but it looks best within the first 48 hours.

1. Mimi says:

Hi :). I love this DIY floral arrangement. I’m planning on making these for my boys’ first birthday party. I found some Mercury candle holders from ikea that I will be using. I’m just concerned that the ball will sit without tipping over. Also, your arrangement looks like a perfect ball. I’m afraid mine won’t turn out like that. Do you have any tips?

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Mimi! The weight is definitely an issue initially because when you soak the foam balls, it is heavy for a candlestick holder. However, as it starts drying, it will lighten up and become easier for it to hold. For the candlestick holders that I used, the key was to push the ball (when wet) pretty far down. You will also want to make sure it is as centered as possible. Transporting them wasn’t fun at all, but we were able to “fluff” the ones that fell over.

As far as making them perfectly round, this was relatively easy. I have zero experience as a florist and made these on my first try. The key here is to try to cut the stems to about the same size. However, if you find that some are way higher than the others either push it is further into the foam ball or trim it up with some scissors. To make sure it is nice and full, don’t skimp on the amount you put into each ball. I did a few with two packs of baby’s breath and those weren’t nearly as pretty as the ones with three. Hope that helps and good luck!

2. Veronica says:

Great tutorial! Considering DIY centerpieces just like yours! Great job! Can you tell me about how long you spent per ball? Wondering how time consuming it is in order to determine an appropriate time line for making.

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Veronica! Thanks for stopping by. I would say it takes about 30 minutes per centerpiece. My mom helped with a few and that helped. It’s very easy so if you can get a few extra helpers, y’all can knock it out in no time. Best of luck!

3. Markeeta says:

Good Evening..Please help me!!! I am loving to make baby’s breath centerpieces for my sons Christening next month. The florist wants to change me 75 dollars without the vase and I need 7 total. They told me I needed a certain type of baby’s breath to make the arrangement, I was just going to purchase from produce junction? The difference with my centerpieces was that I wanted to use the Eiffel tower pillar vase. I found them on sale at AC Moore for 5 bucks a piece..I tried doing them and failed miserably ( I didn’t cut them short enough) I was in such a rush and so excited I bombed. I want to thank you for posting this step by step process to help other people.I am so stressed out trying to find what will secure this ball or how to secure to the pillar vase or what to use in general. ..Does it matter the type of baby’s breath? please shed any light you can I will be forever grateful! Please & Thank you. Btw Your centerpieces are BEAUTIFUL

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Markeeta! I’m so glad that you found the tutorial useful. I absolutely do not think it matters what kind of baby’s breath you use. The Eiffel tower vases are tricky because they are kind of wobbly on their own. If you can make the centerpieces on site, after soaking the floral ball, I would try to firmly, but carefully press it onto the top of the vase. The key is making sure the foam ball is filled evenly with water so the vase doesn’t have too much weight on one side. As far as the overall look of the baby’s breath, make sure to cut the stems about the same size or at least press the stem into the foam ball where it gives that look. I hope that helps and best of luck!

• cathy says:

I am making these for my daughters wedding, with the Eiffel Tower vases, I am not using foam balls, I am using round bouquet holders which have oasis foam in the middle and a clear plastic handle. S.oak the foam before building them, the plastic handle slides down into the vase. If you feel it is too wobbly then wrap the handle with a little tape for a tighter fit. The plastic bouquet holders also give you the opportunity to hang crystals or ribbons from the ball, to enhance the over all look

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Amanda! When purchasing baby’s breath it generally comes in a “bunch” instead of “stems”. We used 3 bunches per arrangment. If you don’t have a wholesale florist to purchase from, baby’s breath can sell for as low as 3 bunches for $10 at the grocery store which is still very cost effective.

• SweetTeaProper says:

I would definitely do a practice arrangment with the lily vase before the big day. I’m not sure if it would work with the bouquet holder, but it is super easy with the floral foam. However, it is also quite heavy with the floral foam so you would need the lily vase filled up with something to give it some weight. To fit the candlesticks, we pushed the floral foam about 2 – 3 inches in. You would need to do something similar with the vase.

• SweetTeaProper says:

Hi Kat! Thanks for stopping by. The candlesticks were purchased from Michael’s. The store also had matching silver mercury candleholders and is able to purchase more if the in-store stupply is low. The flowers were purchased in bulk from a local wholesale florist (Hall’s Florist in Mobile, AL). Hall’s also has a location in Pensacola, FL. To use them, we had to set up a business account (which my photographer was *thankfully* willing to do). Hope that helps!